Low Cost Dental Resources
Dental health is an important part of total body health. Dental diseases are very common despite be highly preventable with good oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits. Biannual (twice a year) dental visits can detect and monitor cavities, gum diseases and oral cancer. Daily brushing and flossing is recommended to prevent these diseases.
Children’s Oral Health
Childhood cavities are one of the most common chronic diseases and affect nearly half of children in the U.S. Dental problems can be painful, debilitating and even embarrassing for young children, but there are steps that can be taken for prevention of these problems.
- A healthy diet low in sugar and fermentable carbohydrates (fructose, lactose, fructans)
- Twice daily brushing with a fluoride toothpaste
- Daily flossing to remove food debris and plaque from in between the teeth
- Regular dental visits (twice a year) for early detection of dental diseases and to receive preventive treatments such as:
- Dental Sealants The biting surfaces of permanent molars are the most susceptible site to get cavities in the mouth. Dental sealants are resin-based or glass ionomer material used to fill in the pits and fissures of molars and premolars.
- Topical Flouride Fluoride is a mineral found in tap water, some foods, and most toothpastes and at optimum levels is effective in preventing dental decay. Topical fluoride is applied directly to and is absorbed by the tooth surface and can be found in oral hygiene products such as toothpaste and mouth rinses. It it also applied by dental professionals in a gel, foam or varnish.
- Water Flouridation An addition to a public water source at controlled levels that will reduce dental decay. This can occur naturally or by adding fluoride. The Centers for Disease Control has hailed water fluoridation as one of the ten great public health achievements of the 20th century. Utah Water Fluoridation Levels Map
Do you have Medicaid insurance? Click HERE for a local provider list that includes dentists.
Uninsured for dental care? Try:
- St. George Doctors Volunteer Clinic Sliding fee dental services, mostly emergency treatment/extractions
- Dixie State University Dental Hygeine Public Clinic Affordable rates for exams, cleaning, oral cancer screening, x-rays, flouride , etc. referrals to community providers for further dental work
Utah Oral Health Coalition information for dental providers