SCREENING & LAB SERVICES
Screenings help find problems early on, when they may be easier to treat. Getting recommended screenings is one of the most important things you can do for your health. At the Public Health Department, we provide low-cost health screening. Contact an office nearest you to schedule an appointment.
Utah & Nationwide Health Report (Population, 2019)
High BMI (UT)
High BMI (US)
Recommended #'s | A1C
The A1c test measures your average blood glucose for the past two to three months. The advantage of being diagnosed this way, is that you don’t have to fast or drink anything. Diabetes is diagnosed at an A1c of greater than equal to 6.5%.
Recommended #'s | Blood Pressure
Your blood pressure is recorded as two numbers: Systolic and Diastolic.
Systolic indicates how much pressure your blood is exerting against your artery walls when the heart beats. Diastolic indicates how much pressure your blood is exerting against your artery walls while the heart is resting between beats.
It’s important to check your blood pressure to screen for hypertension (high blood pressure), which is a significant contributing factor to heart attack, stroke, and other health threats.
|<120 mm Hg||<80 mmHg||Normal|
|120-129 mmHg||<80 mmHg||Elevated|
|130-139 mmHg||80-89 mmHg||High/Stage 1|
|>140 mmHg||>90 mmHg||High/Stage 2|
|>180 mmHg||>120 mmHg||*Hypertensive Crisis|
*Consult Doctor Immediately
Recommended #'s | Body Mass Index
This test is calculated by taking 703 x Weight (lbs)/[Height (in)]². If using the Metric measurements, it is calculated weight (kg)/[height(m)]².
Recommended #'s | Fasting Plasma Glucose
This test checks your fasting blood glucose levels. Fasting indicates that you have not had anything to eat or drink (except water) for at least eight hours before the test. This test is usually done, first thing in the morning, before breakfast. Diabetes is diagnosed at a fasting blood glucose or great than or equal to 126 mg/dl.
|100 mg/dl-125 mg/dl||Prediabetes|
Recommended #'s | Lipid Panel
Lipids are a group of fats and fat-like substances that are important constituents of cells and sources of energy. A lipid panel measures the level of specific lipids in the blood.
|LOW-DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS (LDL)||RESULT|
|HIGH-DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS (HDL)||RESULT|
|<40||Risk of Heart Disease|
A1C TESTIncludes BP & BMI Screening
- A1c can identify prediabetes or diagnose diabetes.
- The test results give you a picture of your average blood glucose (blood sugar) level over the past two to three months.
- Ask your doctor to find out how often you need the A1c test. Usually you’ll have the test at least twice a year if you’re meeting your treatment goals. If you’re not meeting your goals or you change treatments, you may need to get a test more often.
GLUCOSE & LIPID TESTIncludes BP & BMI Screening
- A complete cholesterol test, or lipid panel, is a blood test that can measure the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood.
- Cholesterol tests can help determine risk of the buildup of fatty deposits in your arteries that can lead to narrowed or blocked arteries throughout your body.
- Most healthy adults should have their cholesterol checked every 4 to 6 years.
- Includes A1c Test, Blood Glucose & Lipid Panel Test, Blood Pressure Screening, and BMI Screening.