https://swuhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/AdobeStock_203609546-FLIP.jpeg 2233 5211 Ashley H. https://swuhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/logo1.jpg Ashley H.2019-08-19 15:30:092019-08-19 15:41:42West Nile Virus
The most effective way to avoid getting sick from viruses spread by mosquitoes when at home and during travel is to prevent mosquito bites:
- Use insect repellent: When used as directed, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Use an external EPA-registered insect repellent with one of the following active ingredients:
- DEET (typically 30%)
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
- Para-menthane-diol (PMD)
- Cover up: Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Keep mosquitoes outside: Use air conditioning, or window and door screens. If you are not able to protect yourself from mosquitoes inside your home or hotel, sleep under a mosquito bed net.
Resources and Links
- SWUPHD News Release – Human Case (08/19/2019) – HERE
- SWUPHD News Release (08/06/2019) – HERE
- More on Mosquitos (https://www.cdc.gov/features/
- West Nile Virus (http://health.utah.gov/epi/
- Zika (http://health.utah.gov/epi/