Did you know that 3 out of 4 car seats are installed incorrectly? Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in children ages 1 – 14. The Southwest Utah Public Health Department is dedicating its efforts in child passenger safety by providing FREE one-on-one car seat inspections by appointment. These appointments are focused on the proper use of child restraints; car seats, booster seats, and safety belts. Parents and caregivers are taught the following:
- What child restraint system is right for my child?
- How do I adjust a child restraint system to properly fit my child?
- How do I properly install a car seat in my vehicle?
- What is the safest system to secure my child’s car seat, using the anchor or the seat belt?
- How long should my child be in a booster seat?
During your 35-50 minute appointment, a Safe Kids certified Child Passenger Safety Technician will help you understand how to properly install your child restraints with your specific vehicle.
Five county residents are eligible to purchase a car seat at a reduced cost through the health department after completion of their appointment.
If you are interested a large group (minimum of 6 people) presentation about child passenger safety, arrangements can be made upon request.
If you aren’t interested in the full class, but you want someone to look at your carseat to make sure it is safe for your child, we would be happy to take a look at your unique situation.
Please contact the representative in your area for more information!